Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) is a safe and effective daily pill that may reduce your risk greatly of HIV disease. PrEP is more with the capacity of stopping HIV invest the it each and every day
To begin with on PrEP, confer with your regular medical practitioner or nursing assistant, or search well for a intimate wellness Clinic. There are also other clinics that offer PrEP by calling 311 or visiting the NYC wellness Map.
Is PrEP right for me personally?
To learn if PrEP suits you, first get tested for HIV. PrEP is actually for HIV-negative individuals who will be willing to simply just just take an everyday pill.
You should think about PrEP that is taking if:
- Usually do not always utilize condoms while having sex
- Recently had an infection (sti that is sexually transmitted
- Do have more than one intimate partner
- Have a partner who’s got sex along with other lovers
- Have partner who may have HIV and a detectable or unknown load that is viral
- Want to conceive by having a partner who has got HIV
- Have partner whom will not get an HIV test
- Have intercourse for cash, drugs or even spot to keep
- Inject medications or have partner whom injects medications
How exactly does PrEP stop HIV?
If you should be confronted with HIV, the medications in PrEP stop the herpes virus from distributing through your human body, preventing an HIV illness. PrEP just works so you need to take PrEP every day if you have enough medicine in your body.
Truvada® — the only medicine currently authorized as PrEP — is a mixture of emtricitabine (Emtriva®) and tenofovir (Viread®). They are exactly the same safe medications that lots of people with HIV used to continue to be healthy.
Is PrEP safe? Which are the relative unwanted effects?
PrEP is safe. Truvada®, has been utilized to deal with people who have HIV since 2004.
A lot of people on PrEP usually do not report any unwanted effects. For folks who do, probably the most side that is common are sickness, upset belly, weakness and headaches. These signs usually have better or go away inside the month that is first of PrEP. Rare unwanted effects consist of bone or kidney issues. Your physician or nursing assistant will allow you to handle any unwanted effects.
How good does PrEP work?
PrEP decreases the possibility of getting HIV through intercourse by over 90% for folks who use the capsule at the least four times per week. Your HIV danger is a lot reduced invest the PrEP every single day.
Since PrEP had been introduced in 2012, it’s aided reduce brand brand new HIV infections across nyc.
I still have to use condoms if I take PrEP, do?
PrEP is an effective hiv avoidance choice for those who don’t use condoms each time they have intercourse, but PrEP just protects you against HIV. Condoms prevent other STIs and unintended maternity.
How can I simply simply just take PrEP?
With PrEP, you are taking a supplement as soon as a day, also on times you do not have sex or inject medications.
PrEP is recommended by way of a medical practitioner or nursing assistant.
- Prior to starting PrEP: your physician or nursing assistant will test one to make certain you would not have HIV and that your kidneys and liver are healthier.
- You every three months for HIV and at least every six months for other STIs while you are on PrEP: Your doctor or nurse will test.
To find out more about what to anticipate when using PrEP, see an individual’s Guide to PrEP (PDF) Espaсol.
Just how long does it simply take for PrEP to get results?
Studies declare that you will need to just just take daily PrEP for at least:
- 7 days before PrEP provides protection that is maximum you may be the receptive or “bottom” partner during rectal intercourse.
- Twenty times before PrEP provides protection that is maximum you might be the receptive partner during genital intercourse, or whenever you inject medications.
It isn’t yet known just how many times you ought to simply just take PrEP before it may offer maximum security if you are the insertive or “top” partner during anal or genital intercourse.
How to buy PrEP?
In ny State, PrEP is included in Medicaid & most medical health insurance plans.
You may be eligible for a patient assistance program that helps pay for PrEP if you do not have insurance or have a high co-pay. Medical clinics can additionally apply help patients. You’ll register as a low-cost insurance policy by calling 311.
Find out about your re re Payment choices for PrEP (PDF).
Could I get PrEP if i’m an undocumented immigrant
Immigration status will not influence your capability getting PrEP. You’ll properly talk to staff at our Health that is sexual clinics how your immigration status may influence your alternatives for PrEP as well as other HIV prevention techniques.
If i will be included in my moms and dads’ insurance, will they be notified that i’m on PrEP?
No. Even although you are more youthful than 18, parental authorization is not needed to begin PrEP. Your PrEP prescription and associated visits to the center will undoubtedly be private.
If you’re included in your mother and father’ insurance coverage, it is possible to make a plan to prevent an “Explanation of Advantages” form from being delivered to your mother and father or policyholder. Your PrEP provider can really help you with this particular procedure.
just exactly How else could I remain HIV-negative?
- Find out about crisis PEP. You were recently exposed to HIV, go immediately to your doctor or an emergency room and ask for PEP, an emergency medication that can prevent HIV if you are not taking PrEP and think. You may also phone the NYC PEP hotline at 844-3-PEPNYC (844-373-7692), to get going on PEP straight away. The hotline can be acquired 24/7.
- Utilize condoms normally as you possibly can. Discover the size and kind of condom you prefer. Condoms are offered for free in most five boroughs. To locate our where you are able to obtain a condom that is free call 311 or look at the NYC Health Map
- Utilize lube. Utilize water-based or lubricant that is silicone-based especially during rectal intercourse.
- Get tested for HIV. more An HIV test could be the best way to understand in the event that you or even a partner has HIV.
- Confer with your lovers about evaluation. Pose a question to your intercourse lovers in regards to the final time they had an HIV test. To be certain, get tested together.
- Help your lovers managing HIV. Encourage partners coping with HIV to obtain HIV care and simply just simply take their medicines every so they stay healthy and do not pass HIV to others day.
- Get examined for any other STIs. STIs causes it to be much easier to get or spread HIV.
- Prevent drugs and alcohol when you yourself have intercourse. Getting or drinking high when you’ve got intercourse causes it to be difficult to keep in mind to make use of condoms. For make it possible to stop using, call 888-NYC-WELL (888-692-9355). Interpreters are offered for over 200 languages.
- Utilize clean syringes (PDF). In the event that you inject medications, avoid sharing syringes, cookers, cottons and medication solutions. Learn where you could get clean syringes in the town.
PrEP for females
PrEP is an effective hiv avoidance choice for cisgender and transgender females whenever taken daily.
Ladies who have actually vaginal intercourse should be specially careful to just take PrEP each and every day to keep sufficient medication in their genital muscle to stop an HIV infection.
Ladies who have intercourse with ladies and whom are confronted with HIV through sex or injecting medications can also reap the benefits of PrEP.
Will PrEP restrict my birth prevention?
No. Studies have shown that PrEP will not hinder hormone-based birth prevention. PrEP just stops HIV, which means you nevertheless want to make use of birth prevention or condoms to stop unintended maternity and other STIs.
Will PrEP restrict my hormones treatment?
No. There is absolutely no proof that PrEP interacts with estrogens (or progestins) or impacts the quantities of hormones within you. Analysis has unearthed that transgender ladies who just take PrEP daily are protected from HIV.
Could I simply take PrEP while hoping to get expecting or nursing?
Yes. PrEP can protect ladies who are attempting to conceive a young child having a partner that is hiv-positive. PrEP is safe for the mom and son or daughter both during and after maternity, and contains maybe perhaps not demonstrated an ability to impact fertility.
If you want to just simply take PrEP while attempting to conceive, consult with your medical professional. You might want to consult a specialist for lots more guidance about making use of PrEP in this manner.